One of the defining characteristics of wellness real estate is how well natural sources of health and wellbeing are incorporated into a community or neighborhood. At Green Mountain Farm, we offer natural sources in a variety of ways, including access to lush, organically populated forests.
New research is revealing that time spent among trees can bring health and healing into your life in ways you may never have imagined. Today we’re going to share some of that research as well as our personal experiences with the healing power of trees in the Green Mountain Farm community.
Health Benefits of Trees
According to a study published by the New Phytologist Foundation in 2019, “Trees promote health and social well‐being by removing air pollution, reducing stress, encouraging physical activity, and promoting social ties and community.” We see evidence of this in many different settings and practices around the world.
- Improved Sleep: In Japan, specialists are seeing dramatic results from a practice referred to as “Forest Bathing.” Forest Bathing is time spent dedicated exclusively to walking through a forest, letting your senses soak in everything around you. A recent study showed that just two hours spent in this practice was found to increase both sleep time and quality.
- Decreased Anxiety: In Korea, 2 studies have shown a significant increase in the self-esteem, happiness, and positivity as well as a decrease in anxiety of 11- and 12-year old’s after 2 days spent in the forest.
- Decreased Air Pollution, by Removing Toxins: Not only do trees improve the environment by removing purifying the air but they also have a positive impact on human health. In the United States, trees are shown to be incredibly effective at decreasing the negative impact of allergens and pollutants on a population. This includes everything from respiratory distress to asthma and everything in between.
- Improved General Health: In the book The Hidden Life of Trees by Peter Wohllenben, we learn about a study done in Korea regarding the impact of time spent among trees on aging women. The results show improved blood pressure, lung function and increased artery elasticity.
- Increased Physical Activity: A study done in England revealed a correlation between physical activity and available green space. Specifically, it found that increased green space available to a community improves the chances that the population living there will achieve the recommended amount of daily physical activity.
Green Health at Green Mountain Farm
At Green Mountain Farm, we get to live out the health benefits of trees firsthand every single day. We feel it in our own bodies and see evidence of it in our local family, friends and community neighbors. The trees around us are a huge part of the “wellness” in wellness real estate. There is an abundance of ways to enjoy the healing power of trees right here in our breathtaking private community. Some of the on-site options that give you a reason to get outdoors include:
- Miles of winding walking trails
- Fishing and swimming
- Community gardens
- Equestrian facilities
- Much, much more!
We also have a wealth of natural resources just a hop, skip and a jump down the highway, including:
- Nearby dark sky designated area
- Pisgah National Forest
- Hiking the Appalachian Trail
- Mountain Gardens
- Nantahala Outdoor Center
- Maryland Earth to Sky Park
- Toe River Fly Fishing Excursions
Wellness Community NC
We know that trees might not be the answer to everything life throws at us. However, waking up every morning to incredible, panoramic views of mountain life sure does make things feel more manageable. That’s before we even take a step out the door; once we do, the fresh mountain air and the rich beauty of the forest are pure magic. Don’t just take our word for it – call to schedule a tour so you can experience it yourself.